Bristol’s Lost Pubs

Garrick’s Head King Street

1847 – 68. David Williams
1869. P. E. Bull
1870 to 1871. Robert Cotton
1872. Thomas Duffy
1873. William Dunn

Next door to the Theatre Tavern, pictured during a spell when both buildings were being used as public houses. The gable to the right was the entrance to the Theatre Royal which was rebuilt in 1903, the two old pub buildings were demolished shortly afterwards.

Census 1851.

David Williams 50, Publican & shipwright, Landaff Glamorganshire
Elizabeth Williams 49, No Calling, Landaff Glamorganshire
Elizabeth Williams 14, daughter, no calling, Landaff Glamorganshire
Sarah Williams 13, daughter, no calling, Landaff Glamorganshire
Elizabeth Williams 25, visitor unmarried, no calling, Solvia Wales
Charles Hornes 19, Lodger unmarried, Smith, Bristol

Census 1861.

David Williams 64, head married, ships carpenter and beer house keeper, Pembrokeshire
Elizabeth Williams 61, wife married, shipwright’s wife, Llandaff
Sarah Williams 23, daughter unmarried, milliner, Bristol
Charles Homes 60, boarder widower, coachsmith, Bristol
James Jack 26, boarder unmarried, farmer, Cornwall
Patrick Geary 27, boarder unmarried, tailor, London