Bristol’s Lost Pubs

Old Porter House Narrow Wine Street

1806. Thomas Stroud
1816. Jacob Crook
1820 – 23. Robert Bath
1826. Ann Bath
1828 – 63. John Bland
1865 – 67. Samuel Travis
1868. W. Whittaker
1869 – 72. William Williams
1874 – 76. William Webb

Looking from the top of Union Street. The Old Porter House was removed in the late 1870s presumably to widen the road. Badly damaged in the blitz this area was cleared in the 1950s, Fairfax House which was built down the left has since been replaced with the Galleries Shopping mall and to the right is now Castle Park. The name on the side of the pub is William Williams, which dates this picture to around 1870.

Census 1841.

Ann Bland 45, victualler, born in county
Eliza Talbot 20, servant, not born in county
John Bland 5, not born in county
John Sherland 10, not born in county
James Bland 5, not born in county
Harriett Bath 25, servant, not born in county

Census 1851.

Ann Bland 49, wife married, victualler, Bristol
Edward Bland 16, son unmarried, Somerset Trowen ?
Harriett Bath 34, niece unmarried, assistant, Somerset Trowen ?
Sarah Beard 24, servant unmarried, Liverpool
Elizabeth Deal 21, servant unmarried, Gloucestershire Sodbury

Census 1861.

Ann Bland 62, head married, publican, Lidbury Wiltshire
Mary Tobbias 32, servant unmarried, servant, Bristol
Alfred Fry 14, servant unmarried, servant, Bristol
Mary Ann Prim 40, servant unmarried, Gloucestershire Kingswood

Census 1871.

William Williams 49, head married, licensed victualler & inn keeper, Carmarthenshire Llandillo
Harriett Williams 49, wife married, Bristol
William Williams 18, nephew unmarried, no occupation, Bristol
Elizabeth Peacock 58, sister in law widow, no occupation, Bristol
Emma Minnie Harris 23, barmaid unmarried, Devon Exeter
Hellen Mary Pearce 20, barmaid unmarried, Somerset Taunton
Sarah James 20, servant widow, general servant, Carmarthenshire Llandovery
Peter Chisholm 22, servant unmarried, porter, Bristol