Bristol’s Lost Pubs

Cardigan Arms King Street

1861 – 72. Evan Symmons
1872. Harriet Symmons
1874 – 83. Richard Arr
1885 – 88 . Isaac Bailey
1891 – 1906. Rose Ellen Bailey
1909. William Codner
1911 – 21. James Frederick John Feltham

Opposite the Llandoger Trow, to the right can just be seen the Britannia public house which was lost in the blitz and at the extreme left of the picture is the Old Duke. In 1967 all to the right of the Old Duke was pulled down in favour of a modern building which was recently home to a restaurant and bar named the ‘Bar Med’.

Census 1861.

Evan Symmons 37, head married, publican, Glamorgan
Mary A. Symmons 47, wife married, Carmarthen
Evan J. Symmons 8, son, Bristol
Mary Sparks 16, servant unmarried, Somerset
John Davey 48, lodger married, general dealer, Cardigan
David Thomas 39, lodger married, smith, Carmarthen

Census 1871.

Evan Symmons 57, head married, publican and ship agent, Glamorgan Newton Nottage
Harriet Symmons 48, wife married, Devon Henton
Elizabeth Llewellyn 17, niece unmarried, Glamorganshire Swansea
Mary Grace Chugg 22, visitor unmarried, Devon Henton

Census 1881.

Richard Arr 71, head widower, beer house keeper, Bridgend Glamorgan
Sarah Arr 37, daughter unmarried, house keeper, Bristol Gloucestershire
Mary Sheppard 35, daughter widow, general servant, Bristol Gloucestershire
Richard Arr Junior 32, son unmarried, formerly drapers porter, Bristol Gloucester
William Higgins 31, visitor widower, mariner (Sc) Folkestone Kent

Census 1891.

Isaac Bailey 41, head married, mason, Bridgwater Somerset
Rosa Ellen Bailey 41, wife married, publican, Goathurst Somerset
Sarah Doloras Wall 16, servant single, domestic servant, Bristol

Census 1901.

Isaac Bailey 51, head married, mason, Bridgwater Somerset
Rose Ellen Bailey 42 ?, wife married, publican, Bridgwater Somerset
?? Jenkins 45, single, Bridgwater Somerset

Census 1911.

James Frederick John Feltham 39, head married, beer retailer, Bristol
Mary Ann Feltham 39, wife married, Bristol
Queenie Florence Feltham 1½, daughter

The Cardigan Arms in the 1890s showing a Bristol United Breweries sign. The large lamp belongs to the Old Duke Public House.