Bristol’s Lost Pubs

Victory Tavern Narrow Wine Street

1871. John Stevenson
1872 to 1875. James Steer
1876. William Boddy
1877. Stephen Lowdell
1878. J. Bull
1879 to 1881. Elias Jones
1881. Alfred Crayford
1883. Daniel Marks
1884 to 1885. Mary Sykes
1886 to 1890. Robert Pitman
1891 to 1896. Mary Pitman
1897 to 1903. Francis Bissicks

The Victory Tavern was on the corner with Peter Street opposite the Cat & Wheel. No longer a pub by 1903 the building was demolished in 1959. This photograph dates from the early 1890s.

Census 1871.

John Stevenson 26, head married, beer retailer, Gloucestershire Henbury
Ellen Stevenson 21, wife married, beer retailer’s wife, Bristol

Census 1881.

Alfred Crayford 40, head married, auctioneer and beer retailer, Hemington Somerset
Jane Crayford 39, wife married, Englishcombe Somerset

Census 1891.

Mary Pitman 46, head widow, beer retailer, Breconshire
Robert Pitman 5, son, Somerset Bristol
Martha Snell 38, single, general domestic servant, Somerset Milverton

Census 1901.

Francis Bissicks 30, head married, publican, Bristol
Lily Bissicks 28, wife married, Bristol
Reginald Bissicks 5, son, school, Bristol